Wednesday 2 December 2015

SIGHTS OF MANCHESTER CHRISTMAS MARKETS 2015

Christmas in Manchester had begun last month with the Christmas Lights Switch On about which I had earlier written on http://goo.gl/obNri9. This post highlights some of the scenes that I managed to capture in the Christmas Markets. When I wrote my last post, the markets were just being put up, but now when I write, the markets are fully functioning and people manage to find some time off from their busy schedules to visit these markets. Saturday and Sunday sees an abundance of crowd in the City Council and other adjoining areas where these makeshift markets and temporary pubs have been put up. Come rain or hail, nothing dampens the christmas spirits among the people. The markets itself cover a huge area and one needs maps to navigate if they are new to the city (like me). This is what a Christmas Market map looks like.

MARKET MAP

Let me be very honest, I have not been able to cover all the places myself. But Manchester Arndale, Deansgate and City Council have been thoroughly covered by me (not once but twice). These markets are a sensual appeal to any onlooker. From myriad hues of red, green, silver, golden, white and  pink which adorn the chirstmas trees as decors; to little brown huts which act as stalls for these markets are all appeasing to the eye. In fact, if you choose to stand in any spot and smell the surroundings, a mixture of the smoky flavour of hot sausages, savoury flaours of rainbow coloured macaroons, mulled wine and german beer hits your senses. You can hear people advertising their products, buying and selling, children requesting their parents for a certain special christmas gift and various musical instruments being played in the background.

CITY COUNCIL MARKETS

Come evening and the lights are switched on. These lights give a special feeling to the Christmas Markets. The whole area is decorated with rows of lights wrapped beautifully around the hut sheds and trees. A bunch of hanging lights also dangle from the tree branches.

There are stalls selling various things in the markets. From Fudge to macaroons; from cakes and baked breads to cheese; from drinks to special pulled pork sandwiches and mini pancakes; from christmas trees and decors to gifting items- all are found in these markets.

FUR LAMA

ANYBODY WANTS PIXIE DUST??


SNOWY, THE SNOW WHITE REINDEER

FUDGE



SAY CHEESE. . . . 

ANYONE LOVES GARDENING?

SAUSAGES 

DREAM CATCHERS 


I have not been able to make a video of the markets, but I found this video which would give you a LIVE idea of these markets .



Every time I come to these Markets, I spot something which I had not seen the last time. With so many things happening at the same time and so many sights to capture, one or two visits are not sufficient enough for these markets. I would come back with another post sooner which would highlight other parts of the markets which have been yet undiscovered by me. 

Happy Christmas in Advance ! 








No comments:

Post a Comment